Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Wisdom

The Merriam Webster definition(s) of wisdom are as follows:

a : accumulated philosophic or scientific learning : knowledge 
b : ability to discern inner qualities and relationships : insight
c : good sense : judgement
d : generally accepted belief 
2: a wise attitude, belief, or course of action
3: the teachings of the ancient wise men

While Merriam Webster is not the deepest partner in the world to discuss such a complicated term with, it does illustrate a particular misconception people carry about: it is possible to know what wisdom is without knowing exactly what it means to be wise.
Socrates made possibly the greatest statement on wisdom I can recall in The Apology, “the only thing I know is that I know nothing.” For those of you who haven’t read the five dialogues, Socrates was on trial for corrupting the local youth with his “knowledge.” The truth of the matter was, if his accusers had been more attuned to what he was saying, they would have found they were trying him for nothing (literally).
The beauty of Socrates was he didn’t tell students what to think but to simply ask WHY they thought the way they did.  In other words, Socrates perhaps accomplished the cardinal goal of philosophy: he didn’t instill knowledge in his students, but a love for it, and he said it eloquently to his accusers with this quote: “the only thing I know is that I know nothing.” (They still sentenced him to death. Go Greek justice.)
I would love to say this to everyone I met, but then I would constantly be out of a job, and no one would take me seriously. The unfortunate thing about the age we live in is we ask ourselves to make claims to wisdom. And who’s to say it’s such a terrible thing? I mean, in order to have credibility in your chosen field, you must invariably gain knowledge, and in gaining such knowledge you have gained wisdom, or, as Merriam Webster said, “a wise attitude.” But does that indeed make you wise?
I can very well tell you that I have wisdom when it comes to film editing. If you ask me why, I’ll say that I get paid for it. Not a very good claim, but something most people will buy (hardy har). Getting paid for a certain task simply means you possess a greater degree of knowledge than another “less qualified” person. If financial gain should be a gauge for wisdom, then Lady Gaga is the single wisest person on the earth when it comes to music. (God help us all if this is true.)
Even as I write this entry, I am unfortunately making a claim that I have something wise to tell you (presumably about wisdom). I can’t say what it is to be wise, for in so doing I would be claiming to be wise, which I am indeed not. I would, however, liken wisdom to another word people of our vast and learned world haven’t practiced enough: silence.
Silence is an amazing word, in that merely stating it destroys the meaning of its very existence. Wisdom is the very same, in that people who claim to have it do not. It’s like a director (like Kevin Smith) claiming to be an auteur. It is a quality one cannot claim, but is bestowed by others, just as only an outside observer of a particular scenario can say it is silent, for if one of the players were to make such a statement, they would be overstating the obvious and destroy the atmosphere of the scene.
Now note that throughout this entire entry I have managed to talk a lot about wisdom without saying what wisdom actually is.  And while I still won’t make any claims to such knowledge, I will ask: if we can’t claim to have it, nor define it (save for a brief discussion with Merriam Webster), then what the hell is the point of wisdom? It is indeed a great quality, and, in my vainer moments, something I wish I could be labeled with.
However, this, I think, is the most important thing about wisdom: while it is not immediately given or claimed, or easily defined, it something to be aspired to, like becoming a sensei, or auteur.  It is not the end, but the means to get there. For those who are truly “wise” were not said to be wise because they practiced and learned to gain such a title, but loved what they did. Like Socrates, they claimed to know nothing and gained everything.
So, what is it to be wise? I don’t know. If anyone tells me I am, I will respond with what I consider to be the wisest thing anyone has ever said, “the only thing I know is that I know nothing.” It’ll get me executed in a Greek court, and surely destroy any chances I have of getting a job, but it will be a good start to becoming like someone I consider to be wise. And if things don’t work out, I can always ask Lady Gaga what I did wrong. According to many sources, she’s one of the wisest people anyone knows . . .






No comments:

Post a Comment