Monday, September 19, 2011

Promises


I, and a great many people, live their lives based on promises. It's a promise that gets us through the longest hour; it's why we put up with bullshit from assholes we meet on a day to day basis. Even as I write this blog, I think about the screenplay I'm working on, and the promise that, if I have a good idea and execute it well enough, it will get made into a movie. And then I think about college, and everything before that. I went to high school, as boring and shitty as it was, with the promise that I could go to a good college. And I went to a good college with the promise I could be closer to getting a good job. And afterward, like a faithful servant, I waited for that promise to come to fruition. And I waited. And I waited . . .
If life were a lover, it would get laid a lot, but it would never have a lasting relationship (because it's so good at fucking people). But, thinking on it, it's those among us who make good promises but don't necessarily keep them who benefit the most. (Look at politicians if you want a good example.) So, what am I left with, at twenty five, the dream still elusive, the girl and job nowhere to be found? The truth of the matter is, I don't know. And I'm certainly not going to promise anything, but . . .
There is one promise that life holds for us: no promise we are made is ever binding. Doesn't make it much of a promise then, does it? But, the Merriam Webster truth is that nothing is truly given in this life. Commercials and institutions have done a good job making us believe this isn't true - but it is. Disappointment is as much a part of success as success is, just as a truth is not truthful if it doesn't exist with an equally good lie. Promises are there for us to believe in something. Even when a man goes and prays to God, he doesn't think, but knows, there is something better for him around the corner. And, if and when he does get there to find the promise is absent, at least he turned the corner.
And yet, there is still one thing that can be absolute: a promise you make to yourself. This is possibly the most difficult thing any of us can do. You'll get to see your credibility as a person, and what worth you take in yourself as a human being. Try it once, just once. Make it something easy. Say you're going to brush your teeth before bed - see how it makes you feel. It's something I haven't done enough of in my life, and have only started recently. And because its your word and no one else's, you know you can make it come true. I mean, if you can't put trust in yourself, then what can you put your trust in? Who knows? Maybe, unlike me, you'll get a good lay out of it . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment